Hey there! Before reading the article which is about Windows Defender won’t turn on Windows 10, you should read about windows defender won’t turn on windows 7. It shares basic information about this article and also adds more value to it. Do let us know how you feel about it in the comment section below. Happy Reading! Really glad that you are here.
The other day, I was trying to turn on my Windows Defender, but it didn’t work. I tried doing a restart, but it wouldn’t work. I tried turning it on in safe mode, but it wouldn’t work. What would be the solution? I decided to restart my computer. ” It worked. I hope this will work for you too!
One of the most annoying problems that you will ever face on Windows 10 is when Windows Defender won’t turn on. The Windows Defender is the built-in antivirus program that comes with the Microsoft Windows 10. It’s going to automatically turn itself off in some cases, either due to the same software update or because of some system failing or issue.
⇒ Get IObit Uninstaller
2. Check system files
2.1 Performance of an SFC analysis
- Press Windows key + S, type cmd, and then click Run as administrator to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter, wait for the scan to complete: sfc /scannow
The System File Checker tool removes system file corruption. Use this tool to check whether Windows Defender is damaged or not. Follow the steps above to perform an SFC scan.
If the Scannow team stopped before the end of the process, no worries, we have a simple solution for you.
If you cannot perform an SFC scan or if the SFC cannot resolve the problem, you can use a DISM scan instead. To do this, simply follow the steps below.
2.2 Performing a DISM scan
- Start the command prompt as administrator, as described in the previous step.
- When the command prompt opens, type the following command and press Enter to run it: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- The DISM analysis has now started. This analysis can take up to 20 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
Once the check is complete, check if the problem persists. If you were unable to run an SFC scan before, or if the DISM scan did not solve your problem, try the SFC scan again and see if that solves the problem.
If you’re having trouble accessing the Command Prompt as an administrator, check out this handy guide to troubleshooting the problem.
3. Startup computer cleanup
- Press Windows + R and type msconfig. Press Enter or OK.
- The System Control Panel now appears. Click the Services tab and select the Hide all Microsoft services check box. Now click the Disconnect All button.
- Click the Start tab, and then click Open Task Manager.
- You will now see a list of active applications. Right-click the first item in the list and select Deactivate. Repeat this step for all current applications.
- Once you have disabled all active applications, return to the System Configuration window and click Apply and OK. Now choose to restart the computer.
Sometimes third-party applications can interfere with Windows and cause this problem. However, you can find the problematic application by performing a clean download.
After restarting the computer, check if the problem persists. This means that the problem is caused by one of the disabled applications or services.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems.
Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology.
Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components.
To find a problematic application or service, activate them one by one or as a group until the problem occurs again. Disable or uninstall this application now and the problem will be solved.
If you want to know more about how to add or remove launcher apps in Windows 10, check out this simple guide.
4. Install the best antivirus program
Windows Defender is a decent solution to protect your PC, but it cannot match the services and capabilities of third-party antivirus programs.
If you use the Internet for shopping, banking, working and communicating, you should protect your sensitive data with the best antivirus program, such as the one recommended below.
This tool supports all major platforms, including Windows and Android, and offers advanced banking and privacy solutions.
ESET’s multi-layered security solution is trusted by over 110 million users worldwide, so you should give it a try. You can now take advantage of a 30-day trial.
ESET Internet Security
Make sure your computer is truly protected with the best antivirus solution like ESET Internet Security.
5. Restart the Security Center service
- Press Windows key + R to start the Run application.
- Type services.msc and press Enter or OK.
- Under Services, find the Security Center. Right click on it and select Restart.
- After restarting the required services, check if the Windows Defender problem is resolved.
For Windows Defender to work properly, certain services must be enabled. If these services are not working properly, Windows Defender may not start at all.
However, you can still start the required services by following the steps above.
6. Modify group policies
- Press Windows + R and type gpedit.msc. Now press the Enter key or OK.
- When the Group Policy Editor opens, navigate to the following path in the left pane: Computer configuration / Administrative model / Windows components / Microsoft Defender Antivirus
- In the right pane, double-click on Disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus.
- Select Not configured and press Apply and OK to save your changes.
Sometimes Windows Defender cannot be enabled because it is disabled by Group Policy.
This can be a problem, but you can solve it by simply changing this group policy. To do this, simply follow the steps described above.
After making these changes, Windows Defender should be activated and working smoothly on your computer.
If you have Windows Home Edition installed on your computer, you cannot access the Group Policy Editor. However, you can use our expert guide to install it.
7. Amendment of register
7.1 Using the Registry Editor
- Press the Windows key + R and type regedit. Press Enter or OK.
- When the Registry Editor opens, navigate to this key in the left pane: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows Defender
- In the right pane, locate the DWORD DisableAntiSpyware and double-click it.
- If the DWORD is not available, right-click in the right pane, select New, and then select DWORD Value (32 bits) from the menu.
- Set the data value to 0 and click OK to save the changes.
If Windows Defender does not activate, the problem may be related to your registry. However, you can easily change your registration and resolve this issue by following the steps above.
After that, Windows Defender should be activated on your computer and working without any problems.
If you don’t have access to the registry editor, don’t panic because we have a great guide to solve this problem quickly.
7.2 Using the command line
- Run the command prompt as administrator.
- Now type the following command and press Enter to execute it: REG ADD HKLMSOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
If you are an experienced user and prefer to use the command line, you can do this from the command prompt or from PowerShell by following the steps above.
The selected DWORD is then immediately changed to 0 and the problem is solved.
Some users also recommend to remove the DWORD key DisableAntiSpyware, which you can also try.
This is the end of our instructions. We hope our solutions have helped you solve this Windows Defender problem for good.
If you have any suggestions on how to address this issue, please share them in the comments below.
Still having problems?
Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
This source has been very much helpful in doing our research. Read more about not able to find windows defender in windows 10 and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why can’t I turn on Windows Defender Windows 10?
Defender is the antivirus that comes with Windows 10. It was originally designed to run silently in the background scanning files, and alerting you to any potential issues. Windows 10 will also install updates, and turn on Defender the first time you’re connected to the internet. Sometimes it’s hard to understand how the Windows Defender is supposed to work, and what it’s doing. You get used to it running in the background, and it seemed to do it’s job, but what if you can’t turn on Windows Defender Windows 10? What have you done wrong? Windows Defender is the antivirus program that is installed and enabled by default on all versions of the Windows 10 operating system, including Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Professional, and Windows 10 Enterprise. It is also available on Windows Server 2016. Here’s how to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 10:
How do I fix Windows Defender not turning on?
The Windows Defender program is not included as part of your operating system, but is instead an optional addition you can download. This makes sense, since not everyone has the same level of security concerns, or is running the same types of computers. If you need help getting this program up and running again, please see this article that explains how to fix common problems with Windows Defender. Windows Defender is a free anti-virus and malware protection service for Windows computers. It is included with all versions of the Windows operating system, and it is turned on by default. Turn it off, and you’ll open yourself up to threats from malware, phishing attacks, and viruses. Fortunately, disabling Windows Defender is not as difficult as you might think.
How do I force Start Windows Defender?
If you have ever tried to force start Windows Defender you will know that it’s not as easy as you would expect. Unfortunately, there is no simple registry hack that will force Windows Defender to start. However, there are a few different things that you can try. Windows Defender is an anti-malware program that is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system. You can access Windows Defender from the Control Panel, but if you cannot access this program, you can use the command prompt to start it. Blog Post: Introduction: A lot of Windows users are only using Windows Defender to check for viruses and spyware, but Windows Defender can do more than this. You can use Windows Defender to scan for other computer problems. When you use the free online scan, you can scan for spyware, scan for viruses, scan for rootkits and scan for other threats to your computer.
Feedback,windows defender won't turn on windows 7windows defender downloadcan't turn on windows defender windows 8windows defender real time protection won't turn on windows 10can't turn on windows defender windows 10not able to find windows defender in windows 10,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,Microsoft Defender,Avast Antivirus,AVG Technolog…,Kaspersky Anti‑Virus,See more,windows defender won't turn on windows 7,can't turn on windows defender windows 10,windows defender download,not able to find windows defender in windows 10,windows defender periodic scanning won't turn on,can't turn on windows defender windows 8,how to turn on windows defender windows 7,windows defender real time protection won't turn on windows 10